Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Land O' Lakes

Disclaimer: This post isn't about butter. Sorry for the misleading title :)





To me water is almost as important as air. I don't particularly like to drink water, which isn't a good thing because one day I will probably forget and dehydrate into a shrivled prune. I don't relish water in a glass. I yearn for the unbridled and untamed; sparkling and pure liquid crashing over the precipice of a waterfall or lapping along the shores of the sea. What I love the most are lakes. There is a quaint charm about lakes that I can't quite put into words. I was born in the landlocked state of West Virginia, but there was always a hidden desire within me for water, even if it was just a creek or pond. When my family moved to New York I was able to go to Camp Cherokee and indulge in the heartstopping beauty of Lake Saranac. I have fond memories of boat rides and canoe trips across that lake, discovering the picturesque islands. I remember camp fires at the edge of its clean and mysterious shoreline, singing camp songs and watching the sparks of the fire leap and frolic in the chilly night air. There is something so magical about a lake. During the day they are often crowded with boats, but when the sun begins to set and shadows tangle and mesh with fading rays of sunlight, a calmness enshrowds them that gives peace to the soul. One of my favorite things to do is sit on a dock at dusk and breathe in the scent of trees and campfires, listening to the tiny waves lapping the rocks and sand along the shore.

Today I drove with my mom to take our animals to the vet. Maine is such a beautiful state. We passed at least four lakes, and even though I was unable to stop and enjoy their beauty, I still felt the tug at my heart. I think there is some kind of magnetic field in every lake that pulls me to it, whispering my name in hushed tones that only I can hear. I love the water. I love skimming across its surface on a wakeboard or watching the silvery drops fall off my paddle as it breaks the serene surface next to my canoe. I have many beautiful memories on lakes. They will always be apart of me, and whenever I see one I will always long to drop whatever I am doing and embark on another adventure in its welcoming depths. I dream of one day owning a small cabin on a lake somewhere. Maybe just a dream, but then again, a lake to me is more dream than reality, an escape into the perfection of nature. . .

2 comments:

Dely said...

This was really beautiful Hannah. I feel the same about mountains. and fields. and flowers. and giant sequoia trees. and the ocean. OK. Maybe I just love nature. But there is a lot to be said about it. It's majestic, thought-provoking and brings you ever nearer to Your Creator.

Good blog missy.

BRUNO said...

Molto dolce e romantica...