Sunday, June 14, 2009

Inquisitive

The things that come out of kids' mouths. . .

"Hannah, do we have to get all our giggling out before heaven," asked Justin, my 7-year-old nephew, at the dinner table.

I stifled a laugh because it would have been hurtful to his inquisitive heart, but it was difficult because laughing comes very naturally to me. In fact, I hope I will have even more reasons to laugh in heaven than I do here.

I promptly told him that there would be plenty of laughing in heaven. Jesus wants us to be happy, here and there.

My niece and two of my nephew's are here staying with us for a few days and they continue to amaze me with their intelligence and progress. They are definitely not angels, but they have gone through much in their young lives, and I praise God for the joy and happiness He is instilling in their minds as they learn and grow more each day. They are smart, talented, driven kids. Sometimes they're loud and rambunctious and have a hard time doing what they're told, but at the end of the day, their innocence and heartfelt affection are what I remember most. They grow up while I am away, and when I return for a fleeting visit, they rush back into my arms with eager smiles and I realize sadly that they've grown even taller and won't be little much longer.

Oh, beautiful youth. Its innocence. Joy. Exhuberance.
You grow up in a few years, but grow old for a lifetime.
Can't fight age, wrinkles, time.
Each day brings more knowledge, more burdens, more problems.
I've been fighting growing up and growing old.
I want to be forever young.
Away from me, vile age and worry. I cling to the innocence of a child.

1 comment:

Dely said...

I like this post. Kids are awesome. I want 10. Divided by 2. :]
Anyway, yeah growing up is weird and scary. As a kid I always wanted to grow up. I was so impatient. And now I just want to take a deep breath and live a day without thinking about next year. Wrinkles and dentures terrify me. But when I get scared or worried I think about my grandparents and all the sweet wisdom they have.

With every new wrinkle a new idea. Think about the time when you're on your death bed, the knowledge you will have acquired will be amazing! :]
As long as you live your life now [which I know you do] you should look forward to old age.
Long comment. :/
Miss you Hannita.