Friday, June 26, 2009

And so it begins. . .

All it takes is a split decision. Mine happened in a world religions class. Most mornings it was difficult to focus, my mind slowly adjusting to new ideas and cultures at a time before many people even roll out of bed or drink their morning coffee. But that day was different. The video was about Tibetan Buddhism, and in one scene a worshipper prostrated himself before an idol. I snapped awake as the narrator said, “There are still many people who have never heard the name of Jesus.”

I guess you could say that’s where it all started. I’d thought about being a student missionary before, but never considered it, seriously that is. Growing up I'd heard what seemed like millions of mission stories, whether they were on tapes at bedtime or presentations at church. I had always known that many, many people around the world didn't know about Jesus, but up until that point I don't think I'd really cared. I can't say I had this huge change of heart or anything like that, but I know that day in class God put a small burden on my mind.

A few of my other friends apparently felt it too, because we went to the Student Missions Expo and started looking into the various places we could go. I picked Honduras, mostly because I wanted to use my Spanish. I started paperwork and fundraising around December 2008. One of the most amazing blessings was how my first money came in. I hadn't even sent out my letters at that point, but when I returned to school after Christmas vacation, a letter was waiting for me that contained more than 75 percent of what I needed to raise, which was a really big amount. I couldn't believe it. I was ecstatic! It seemed like a pretty big sign that this was what God did want for me.

I finished up at Southern and graduated in May. God blessed me with an amazing senior year. Two of my good friends have also chosen to serve God this coming year. Michelle will be going to Chad to work as a nurse and Aldo will be teaching in Palau. So, I have had some time to relax and prepare myself at home, but the time has come to leave. I will be leaving for Honduras this Tuesday, June 30, and plan to keep this blog to share my adventures, struggles and triumphs with everyone back home. In Honduras I will be working at the Hogar de Ninos Orphanage in Santa Barbara.

I just want to make one disclaimer. Don't expect to read about miracles. Let me explain. I feel that even though no one would ever admit to it, many people secretly relish in reading mission blogs. Why? Because they expect to hear about the mighty things God is doing. They expect to hear stories about how God has parted the sea, healed the sick and saved the lost, all through one, little missionary. I am not going to Honduras to do any of those things. My aim and purpose is to sow seeds of love, kindness and peace. My one desire is to make a difference, no matter how small, in the lives of those I come into contact with. I do not expect God to raise the dead or heal the sick, but I have faith He will use the seeds I sow to bring to life a desire for salvation and cure souls diseased with sin. If you are expecting to read stories about visible miracles, you might not find them here. I believe one of the greatest miracles is invisible, the change of heart that only God can see, and that is my mission and aim for this year. I also hope He will work changes in my own heart.

Oh yeah, I'm human. I'm going to be homesick, tired and frustrated. I need prayer every day. So as you read my blog, please remember to pray for me. And don't forget, you don't need to go to another country to be a missionary. . .

-Hannah

1 comment:

theInsideChange said...

Hon. I am so excited for you this year. You will be in my prayers and I hope to be able to visit you while I'm there. God uses the willing. Love you and I'm proud of you!! But most of all I'm blessed to have you as my friend!


ps: Have you cut your beautiful locks yet!!!???