Saturday, October 9, 2010

Un Dia Especial

I have a filmy plastic bag on my dresser. Inside are cards; a memory game I've never played. It was given to me by a little boy who stole my heart. He shoved it into my hands as I spent my last few minutes with him, before I hugged him tightly and watched him walk away into a sea of maroon and white uniforms.

The day I said goodbye is a vivid pang of painful recollection. The cards say on one side "Un Dia Especial." There was nothing special about that day.

What am I doing? Where am I going? I've given part of my heart away to special children in Honduras. Almost everyday I spend a few minutes looking at pictures and videos, and my heart aches for their hugs, their smiles. I realize most of my blogs seem to center around my time away, even after I've come back.

You know, the experience doesn't stop. If you allow it, it burns in your soul, a secret desire for more, to keep helping and loving. I'm not doing enough. . .

Just about six more weeks. . . I will see them again!

2 comments:

Christoffer said...

Me parece que tu experiencia fue muy buena. Dudo que la mia va a ser lo mismo, pero por supuesto, no se todavia. Pero creo que encontraste algo que te captó el corazon y la pasion. Todavia estoy buscando eso, pero es muy bueno ver que alguien lo ha encontrado. Me alegro que puedes ir para visitar en algunas semanas.

Ali said...

And it's exactly those blogs about Honduras that I always star in my Google Reader account. There is a baby home here on one end of ADRA's campus (the ADRA director's wife runs it) and one of the volunteers there is leaving on Wednesday back for the States and doesn't know how she's going to leave "her" baby. We've talked a lot about how, even years later, our feelings for these kids who have been so special in our lives never really changes. Its amazing how universal loving kids, especially orphans, is.

I'm excited for you to go back and see your kids again!!