Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Autumn's Atonement

I step out of my car. The rich, earthy smell envelops me. I inhale slowly, savoring the musky aroma of fallen leaves and acorns. Tentatively, yet with growing boldness, the late October sun struggles to raise its sleepy head above the majestic maples and prickly pines. I seemed to have had a similar dilemma just an hour earlier.

Fall.

Leaves swish at my feet and the mild morning breeze swirls around my brown shoes. I want nothing more than to close my eyes and let the autumn wind whisk me around in a slow waltz. I wish to tip my head back and let my arms swing freely at my sides, lost in the rhythmic melody of blowing debris. I used to think Fall could be described in cups of hot chocolate and coffee, warm sweatshirts, bonfires, and pumpkin pies. I was so wrong.

Fall is much more than the cliche associations we unimaginative humans define it with. But isn't that true of so much in life? I'm tired of cliches. The word cliche is. . .well, cliche. Overused.

I would like some magic in my life. I'm not talking about pulling rabbits out of a hat. I want to discover the simple things that make each moment I live and breathe special. Why should I content myself with the cliche when I could encounter the unique and unnoticed? I won't.

Fall, let me dance a moment more in your enchanting song. As you atone for the departure of my dear Summer, I will lose myself in the splendor of your color and fragrance.

My thoughts are thousands of miles away. If only the song would never end. If only it would transport me into the arms of another continent and season. There my magic waits.

2 comments:

Christoffer said...

Do you wrestle with these posts or do they just flow forth effortlessly? I look forward to reading your articles. Maybe travel writer? Maybe philosopher? Or just google-ads-supported regular-ole blogger? Whatevs. Your fall description was a smiling sigh. Except that I imagine the sun hardly able to keep itself from coming up, excited to wake us up and shine in our eyes and make our skin tingle with warmth. But again, whatevs. :)

Ali said...

Wow, I agree with Chris...this was wonderful! You have such an amazing style and I especially loved the part about the sun's sleepy head (and yours:) I also loved that this post matched your profile background!! Autumn is amazing and I miss it... Thanks for reminding me how great this season is!