Saturday, August 1, 2009

rainforest ramble


Thick vegetation carpets the slippery jungle slope, each green plant laden with droplets of water. The trail steepens and I find myself doubling over, traversing my way through nature's greatest obstacle course. My lungs cry out for more of the cool, fresh mountain air. I am forced to stop and catch my breath a few times but finally I reach the top. I join the others on the roof of an abandoned house and we take in the view.

I love Sabbath here. Today after lunch a group of us drove part way up one of the mountains, where we parked and then hiked the rest of the way. Thankfully it had rained and cooled things off. At times the trail was really steep and slippery, but we had some good laughs on the way up and down. A few of the kids took off their shoes and flip flops for better traction. I am definitely out of shape, but the hike was worth it. When we got to the top the view was amazing. We could see the rain clouds in the distance, and as we hiked back down, it began to pour. It felt amazing though. We all piled into the back of the truck, and lightening flashed in the distance as darkness began to fall. The girls started singing, and soon the boys joined in. At that moment I tried to think if there was somewhere else I would rather be, but I knew in my heart there wasn't. Here I was, thousands of miles from home, yet surrounded by a small family, brought together by pain and heartache, but fortified and strengthened by one Father. Their voices rose, a sweet harmony of happiness drowning out their past sorrows. It was truly beautiful and a moment I will cherish.

Now I am very tired. I'm wearing a sweatshirt, something I never thought would happen while I was in Honduras :)

2 comments:

Christoffer said...

Nice, Hannah. Sounds like a great experience and you described that feeling of knowing you should be right there right then very well.

Dely said...

That was lovely Hannah. Thanks.