Monday, June 25, 2012

Life Is a Game of Soccer

History has always fascinated me. There are certain time periods that are terribly gripping. When I was younger, I was certain that one day I would be an Egyptologist. I dreamed of combing the sweltering sands for hidden treasure. I longed to stumble upon a lost civilization, to study its secrets and mysteries. As I grew older, I learned about a more hideous side of history, of wars and power struggles centered on hatred that tore countries apart and ended innocent lives. History is terrifying. Yet amid the horrors and atrocities there is a common theme: our obsession with staying alive. The ancient world was fascinated with immortality.

For thousands of years, the human race has grappled with the inexplicable, with finding meaning in its existence. From the moment we are born, we are selfish creatures. Each breath, each conscious thought is wrapped up in our desire to thrive. By the time we are old enough to understand life a little better, we want to know our purpose in it. This curiosity is first manifested when we are small. Our frequent question is "Why?" We want to know why the sky is blue and why the sun is bright. As the years pass we begin asking more complicated questions. Not only do we want to know the answers to these simpler things, we also want to understand what (and possibly if) anything exists beyond the blue sky and large sun. And if something or someone does, is this being involved in our lives?

 I firmly believe that there is someone much greater than us, a Creator that not only made us, but who is completely invested in us (Long ago the LORD said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself" Jeremiah 31:3.) Not only do we question our existence, we question our past, present, and future. An amazing woman (Corrie ten Boom) once said, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." This lady, a Dutch Christian, survived the Holocaust. (Her autobiography, The Hiding Place, was made into a film that I highly recommend.) Many of us have difficulty trusting God's wisdom, even in trifling matters.
Despite the tragedy Corrie was a part of, she trusted God implicitly. What I'm about to say next may seem like a completely divergent idea, but I hope that you can make the connection.

 In addition to my love of history, I also have a special place in my heart for sports. I am frankly addicted. In an attempt to combine history and sports, and to explain our desire to understand life, here is my best analogy: Life is a game of soccer.

 Each of us has been selected to a team. We were scouted, not only for our abilities, but for our weaknesses, too. We're playing for a prize (eternity) that far surpasses any earthly trophy or award. Each player on the team has different talents, but in order for us to win, we must work together, utilizing our talents to achieve a common goal (no pun intended). Unfortunately we're all selfish players. We forget to pass, to play together, to support each other in moments of trial. We are puzzled by our failures and baffled by our successes. The sidelines often seem so far away from the playing field, that we forget there is a Coach. As we wipe the sweat and desperation from our eyes, we feel alone. Our suffering and fatigue seem overwhelming as the game drags on. Sometimes we feel like giving up, waving our arms around and screaming for a substitution. Just when all seems lost, the Coach makes an executive decision. He sends someone in to take our place: Jesus. The great thing is, Jesus has such a connection with the Coach (His Father), that He knows just what He has to do to claim the victory for the team. In the process He gives His life. Yet the team is victorious. The crowded stadium (the angels and other worlds) fills with passionate celebration. The victory is won!

Stop dwelling on the unknown future you face; rather trust in the known Coach/God. He's watching the game from the sidelines, but He has a better view and vision for what works best/where/when/and with whom. Just because we're the ones sweating on the pitch doesn't mean He doesn't care or "get it." In fact He's more invested in the outcome than we are. We fail to forget His years of experience. He brought all of the players on the field (the people in our lives) for a reason. He saw the abilities, the weaknesses... the drive or lack thereof, and He saw in His wisdom that you would fit well with this particular team. Hang in there. Victory is near!

2 comments:

Ali said...

Hannah, I always love it when you post a blog. You have such a wonderful way with words that draws the reader in. I loved your soccer game analogy! Thanks for reminding me to always trust the game to God.

Hannah said...

Thank you Alison. I haven't blogged much lately, but I want to get back into blogging. Sometimes I forget anyone even reads these posts, but it's encouraging to get your positive feedback :) Hope you're doing well!