Monday, August 8, 2011

Straight Up Statistics

I love statistics. Correction. I love statistics that don't require me to use a TI-83 calculator and the bell curve. I took a statistics class one summer as a general math credit. The class lasted for about three hours twice a week. It was torture. I don't remember much about the class. I'm drifting away from my point though. I love statistics because. . . well, because they let me know how many people read my blog on a daily/weekly basis. Even when I'm not posting anything, people are still reading it! I guess that's a good thing. I often wonder what they find interesting, or if they even read a whole post.

Anyways. I don't write much because. . . well, because I'm lazy.

I have decided to take a break from Facebook. I'd been toying with the idea for awhile, but finally went through with it. I have been Facebook-free since Thursday morning. I still have to use it for work, but I have deactivated my personal account. Yeah, I am definitely going through withdrawals. Mostly when I am bored at work or in the evening. It is a needed break though. The big reason it took me so long to deactivate it was that I use it to communicate with friends who live far away. But I also spent hours on it, just sifting through my news feed and bouncing from one profile to the next. I want to use my time better. I don't like having an addiction, but that's what Facebook had become for me. I know many people who are addicted to Facebook/their smartphone, but refuse to see that they are. Whatever. My goal is to stay away from it for at least a month.

Well, this post is more of a time for me to ramble. Maybe I'll post more now that I don't have Facebook to suck up all of my free time. Maybe I won't.

I've been playing soccer a bit recently. I love sports. I love playing with guys too because for some reason it's assumed that girls can't play well. I like to crush that notion with a few flicks of my left foot. Yeah, I fall down sometimes and I miss the ball too, but there's always a feeling of inner satisfaction when I make a steal or assist a goal.

I think this is a good time to insert a cliche side note. Life is filled with ups and downs, but what is it that everyone says? Oh, that it's not about falling down, it's about getting back on your feet after the fall. I think sometimes I feel like I'm sort of floating in mid-air between the ground (a fall) and getting back on my feet. Picture a slow motion soccer replay of a bicycle kick-- that's how I imagine myself. I feel like my life isn't bad enough to equate it with a fall, but I don't have a clear idea of where I'm headed or what I'm doing, so I wouldn't say that I'm standing strongly on my two feet either.

I should get back to work. Should. . .

No comments: