Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sell Fish

A bitter winter wind claws at my face. Flighty snowflakes float through early morning sunbeams. I trudge up the steep hill to work, my lungs straining under the weight of icy air. Due to Monday's snowstorm, our hill is too slick to drive on, which means I have to park at the bottom. As my feet, cocooned inside soft black boots, stumble over the slippery slope, I muse about a world away, a world removed. Somewhere someone has lost a home to flooding (Australia). Somewhere a baby is dying of malnutrition (Africa, India, etc.) Somewhere a woman is being raped (Haiti).

Oblivious? Read the headlines. Yet in all the pain, there is hope. There are stories of people who forget themselves, forget to be selfish, who remind us what it really means to live/and die.

What's my biggest problem today? Not parking at the bottom of the hill. My biggest problem is forgetting myself. I'm not selling fish, but I am selfish.

www.edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/13/flood.teenager/index.html?hpt=C1

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13

2 comments:

Ali said...

I'm IN Africa, amidst the pain and suffering, and still find myself thinking selfishly. Thanks for a needed reminder. Beautifully written as usual.

livelovelyxx said...

Such a great wake-up call. Your writing is wonderful!