Saturday, September 5, 2009

Unsalted Rice

My throat is a sore loser. That's right, I'm sick again. I've been trying to think of an interesting blog all week, but unfortunately my thoughts aren't flowing as well as the mucous in my nose. I suppose I will just list a few of the most recent developments at the Hogar.

#1 Two volunteers arrived on Wednesday from PUC. We are expecting at least one more volunteer in the next week or so.
#2 I have moved back into my old room. Goodbye dark and sweltering cave, hello fresh air and windows.
#3 I have passed the 7th week mark.
#4 I have figured out how to take a hot shower.

Today is Sabbath. Even though I am very grateful for Sabbath, it's not the same here. I don't actually get to rest. I still have to wake up the kids, help with meals, do an afternoon ministry, and put the kids to bed. The church service is as bland as a bowl of unsalted rice, and this Sabbath I'm sick, which makes everything slightly less enjoyable. Unsalted rice. . .

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men."
-Matthew 5:13

Today I feel like I've lost my flavor, but it's not just today. This week there were so many times when I felt inadequate and flavorless. I see the need around me and I tremble with shame at my minuscule contribution. Life is like a giant pot of rice. Hundreds of tiny grains represent people, blending together as their troubles burn beneath them. We have been called to flavor the pot, but I think we have forgotten to let the Cook measure the salt. Christ's love is the salt that brings the flavor. I myself am not capable of bringing flavor or taste to those around me, but if I allow Christ to fill me with His love, then I regain my flavor. Right now I'm tasteless and can't help these kids or people on my own. The lesson I'm learning this year is to let Christ/the Cook handle my shortcomings and turn my small contribution into something flavorful and useful.

I'm going to take a nap now and hope I wake up cured. . . Dream on, and I will.

2 comments:

Kristin Wilson McGuire said...

I like your "unsalted rice" metaphor. Maybe you should get sore throats more often! (Maybe not.)

Christoffer said...

It looks like your freewriting rendered something rather creative after all. Very nice. Although, ironically, I ate some unsalted rice the other day and found it rather tasty. But I won't consider that while thinking of your metaphor.