Friday, March 11, 2011

Temblor 24

I remember the time when. . .

Oh, but there are so many times I remember. They're probably not meaningful to most people, but to me they represent 24 years of living.

I remember my first kitty, who survived many moves and a truck accident.
I remember burning my arm while making tortillas when I was 4.
I remember trips to England to see my grandparents.
I remember pleading with my Dad to let me paint my ceiling purple (to go with my pink walls and carpet).
I remember how I used to put carrot shreds on my teeth for "braces" (and then one day I had to get the "real" ones. . . not so glamorous after all, despite the exciting chance to change the band color each month).
I remember when I couldn't wait to be a teenager.
I remember being a teenager, and realizing it wasn't quite as amazing as I'd always thought it would be.
I remember my best friend's barn burning down.
I remember my first day at school. Eighth grade. I had braces (the real ones) and I was so shy I barely talked to anyone at recess.
I remember high school crushes.
I remember arriving at college with high expectations.
I remember the distinct desire to stay, but graduation came too quickly.
I remember arriving in Honduras, the heat and newness were overwhelming.
I remember sleeping in my closet for a few nights in my first apartment until I could find a bed.
I remember the butterflies in my stomach as I anticipated talking to a friend.

And now, as I write this. . . minutes are passing and tomorrow I will remember writing this blog. Sunday I will turn 24. So many memories crowd my head; boring and ordinary memories for most, yet for me, they are beautiful reminders of how God has blessed my life.

There are so many insightful quotes about life. . . I wanted to end with one.

Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.
|Albert Einstein|

May this be my motto. Whether I live for another day or until I turn 90, may each day be lived for others.

Happy birthday to me. I'm thankful for the life I've been given, and I feel blessed to wake up each morning. Suffering and pain abound (Japan's 8.9 earthquake and tsunamis are a fresh reminder of life's fragility), yet I'm alive.

No comments: